Paddling sessions and where we meet
The club has two "homes". These are our Club House at Colt Hill which is on the Basingstoke Canal near Odiham and the QMC Sports Centre Swimming Pool, Basingstoke.
Our main Club night is Wednesday evening and is either at Colt Hill (summer) or QMC (winter) although our sessions are currently severely limited by COVID-19 restrictions.
Throughout the year, when there are no other Club activities organised, we also paddle at Colt Hill on Saturday mornings.
Look at our club sessions page to find out more.
In Tier 2 areas, from 2nd December paddling outdoors in socially distanced groups of up to six may re-commence. Until then, the following applies
This document sets out Basingstoke and Deane Canoe Club’s approach to paddling and other Club activities during the COVID-19 pandemic as at 27 June 2020.
Safety – at all times the health and safety of members and other paddlers is of paramount importance.
Hardship – the Club recognises that some paddlers will be experiencing financial hardship and will work to minimises its impact on their ability to paddle.
Guidance – the Club will follow guidance issued by HM Government and by our national governing body, British Canoeing. The Club notes that this guidance is changing rapidly so this document is liable to change.
Risk Assessment - For a copy of the Club's Risk Assessment, which has been updated to reflect the current COVID-19 protocols, please click here
Outdoor Paddling Sessions
- on your own
- with the people you live with (your household)
- with your support bubble
- with one other person, whilst maintaining social distancing
Further guidance is expected from British canoeing soon.
QMC Pool Update
Winter 2020 Season
We are currently trying to understand whether we can actually run pool sessions when we are in Tier 2 - please watch this space
Provided lockdown finishes as planned on 3rd December, there will be QMC Pool sessions on 9th, 16th and 23rd December.
As you might expect, there will be a few changes to the way we operate.
- As before, pool sessions will be for half an hour and will start 7:15, 7:45, 8:15 and 8:45
- To start with, we will be limiting numbers to 6 on the pool at any time, to ensure proper distancing. We may increase this later.
- We will not be taking bookings at the pool, or over the phone.
- The cost of sessions will be £5 per half hour and will be strictly open to current BADCC members (or members or BCCC & BVCC, if there is space).
- Payment will be via BACS, directly to the Club's account
- Sort Code: 20-05-00, Account Number: 63937313. Please use the reference: YourName-Pool .
- The only people allowed at the pool will be those paddling (and a parent/driver if applicable) and the club members running the session (Life Guard, Coach, Desk Officer etc)
- You will need to come "paddle ready". The changing room will only be available after your session.
- We will have a set of operating procedures which will seem quite strict, but are necessary. These will be sent out to Club members shortly, but the first time you come to the pool, someone will run through them with you.
- There will be a club coach "running" each session who will be at the poolside, or on the water, and available for ad-hoc coaching and advice, if required.
- As always, if you bring your own kit, please ensure it is squeaky clean before bringing it into the pool (i.e. no mice living in it!)
Access to Local Rivers and Canals
A brief reminder that a licence is required for most local rivers and canals: this includes the Basingstoke Canal. See requirements below for local waterways
Want to give it a try or just get in touch?
BADCC is known locally as a social canoe club where all are welcome to learn, develop and experience open canoe and kayaking to whatever level you want. We take part in a wide range of paddling sports and have a great group of British Canoeing qualified coaches.